My Time At Victoria’s Secret

by ljmlevine on May 1, 2011

* Note: If you like this post, you’ll also want to check out this update that I wrote*

During the summer after freshman year of college I, like many other college students, was broke and needed a job. I thought it would be fun to say “I work at Victoria’s Secret.” I was also very interested in the employee discount. Plus, I figured, how hard could it be? You’re folding underwear all day. That sounds easy enough. As it turns out, I ended up spending more money at the store than I made that entire summer, and the job was opposite of enjoyable. In my defense though, when you are sorting bras and watching for shoplifters for eight hours, you have to fill your time.  I would do this by looking at all the new items we had in the store. It was so strange. At the start of a shift an item could look ugly, but by the end of my shift I absolutely HAD to have it. I’m proud to say I’ve matured greatly since those days. However, as a result of my time at The Secret, I cringe whenever I hear the word “panties.” It reminds me of folding them for hours on end just to have some unpleasant teen come mess them up. It also makes me think of measuring stranger’s chests.  Neither of these things invoke happy memories.

I am going to be honest with you. I was never the employee of the month at The Secret (as I called it). In fact, I sucked at my job. BUT it wasn’t really my fault, because I had virtually no training. My training consisted of watching a training video for an hour or two. No on-the-job training. Nothing. They stuck in me in a room with other trainees, played the video, and then said “see you for work tomorrow.” It was bad news.

Every day I would come to work PRAYING that I didn’t have to do “cash wrap” as it was called aka work the cash register. When they would make me work the cash register, I would break out into a cold sweat. a.) I suck at math. Not a joke. I am AWFUL at it. b.) All the buttons and codes you had to remember confused me and made my math deficiency even worse. c.) the lines were always long, and if you were slow then chaos would ensue and the manager would come stand over your shoulder. My manager was not exactly a barrel of laughs, so I did not enjoy this bonding time with her. During one particularly traumatic experience, a woman with really, REALLY long hair and a jacket straight out of the ’90s critiqued the way I made change. “Um…why did you give me a nickel and a quarter?” (or something equally as petty) she asked me.I just looked at her blankly for a second and then said something to the effect of, “Because I needed to give you thirty cents and I used a nickel and a quarter to do so.”  I said it very politely and flashed a big ole smile.”You could have given me three dimes.” She said. Her butterfly bangs taunted me. The Tweety Bird patch on her jacket leered at me.”You’re right, I could have. This was just the way I thought to do it first. If you’d like three dimes I can do that for you,” I tried to remain calm as I watched the line grow behind this annoying woman. I saw my manager watching. She was not smiling.The woman stared at me in silence. “Here’s your receipt. Have a nice day, ma’am.” I said, hoping that signaled the end of the conversation.

“No, I want to know why you made change like that!” she demanded, raising her voice. People turned to look at us. I wanted to reach across the register and shove all of the various flavors of lip gloss that we sold down her throat. I had no response for this woman. I already told her once that this was the first thing I thought of when I had to give her thirty cents. I offered her a different variation of thirty cents if she so desired. What else could I do? I couldn’t argue with her. Big smile again. I didn’t know what to say so I just hoped that would suffice. Inside I was mentally cursing myself for not living in a more sophisticated city. This argument would never happen in a chic metropolis like New York or Chicago. After what seemed like hours, my manager stepped in and ushered the woman and her acid-washed jeans out the door.  Good riddance. This woman haunts my nightmares.

The other thing about The Secret was that I never actually learned how to measure anyone’s chest. In fact I know I’ve been wearing the wrong bra size for months, but instead of just measuring my own chest to correct the problem, I had to go in to another Victoria’s Secret and have someone who actually knew what they were doing measure it for me. Every day, I lived in fear that someone would ask me to measure their chest. When a customer entered the store, I would mentally communicate with her and tell her NOT to ask me to measure her. I would always try to be busy. There were panties that needed folding at the “panty bar”. There were mannequins to be dressed, there were shoplifters to watch out for. There was anything and everything to do except measure women’s boobies.

It seems like measuring someone’s chest would be very easy, right? Just throw that measuring tape around their chest and you have their bra size, right? NOPE! NO! WRONG! You have to do two different measurements and then add/subtract them and then based on that measurement you use a chart to figure out what their actual bra size is. If you measure wrong then the whole thing gets effed up.  One time, a woman with a large chest came in and asked me to measure her. It was like my third day. I ended up determining that she was a 34 B. A few minutes later, my boss came stomping over and screamed at me. Apparently she measured the woman and found out she was a 36 DD. Okay, whatever. I was close. I wanted to tell my boss that maybe if she had actually trained me, things like this wouldn’t happen. But I didn’t. I just apologized and went back to the panty bar. Where I belonged.

When I was at The Secret getting my own chest measured a few days ago, the first girl I asked to measure me was young and didn’t seem too confident in her own chest-measuring abilities. I realized she was probably the new me. As she began to get flustered while trying to measure me, I said. “It’s okay. I used to work here. I had no idea how to do this either. I’ll find someone else to do it. Don’t worry.” She looked so relieved. I smiled at her and she smiled back and then went back to the panty bar, where she also probably belonged. I knew the feeling. Don’t worry, bad Victoria’s Secret employee, some day when we are both famous we will use this as material for our “E! True Hollywood Story”.

A job as a Victoria’s Secret angel? Now that would be ideal. Unrealistic, but ideal. A job measuring chests, folding underwear, and doing math? Not for me. Although, my mom would probably tell me it built character. So…there’s that.

{ 44 comments… read them below or add one }

Vanessa May 13, 2011 at 3:44 am

This story reminded me of me! I used to work at a Goodwill and I would always feel sick to my stomach when they would tell me that I was cashier for the day! I’m horrible at math too and I would always get annoying customers in my line. I hated it so much that I quit the job.

I just got a job at Victoria’s Secret for Sales Support Associate. I’m so glad that my position does not require me to be cashier, measure boobs, or sell the Angel card! I work in the back room.

From what I’ve been reading online a lot of people experienced bad training. I am getting the new training which requires about 5 days of training. So far I had one that lasted 4 hours and the next one will be 3 hours.

Lauren May 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Hi Vanessa,
That is too funny! Glad I’m not the only math-challenged one. It’s good that The Secret has changed the training (or lack thereof) because, as you can tell from my story, it desperately needed some help. Best of luck with the new job! Thanks for reading my blog.

Lauren

petePUMA July 18, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I feel your pain I am currently still there. And its twice as bad for me I am a guy working the dreadful pantie bar and it never gets old me asking have you been fitted in the last 4-6months.

admin July 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Oh no! Get out while you can! The panty bar was created by Satan/Lord Voldemort… Thanks for commenting!

Mari August 24, 2011 at 3:52 am

I worked there too and you’re right they absolutely do not train well! They were so disorganized, it was confusing. All we did was watch some videos and then answer questions about work ethic and why it was important to catch shoplifters. If they provided ANY on-the-job training it would have made everything so much easier! But no, they just send you out onto the sales floor with no knowledge of the products or anything. I didn’t even get a tour of the store so I didn’t know where things were! Every question a customer asked me I’d have to say “hold on, let me check for you”. It was so frustrating! I didn’t know anything and when I would ask the manager a question she would give me an answer like “you should already know this”. But really, how were we supposed to know anything if they hardly trained us! Definitely not a great job. Honestly, I’d rather clean toilets or sell door-to-door (I’ve done both of those before!) Anything other than work at Victoria’s Secret. But I still shop there, I do love their bras! Great place to shop, not work.

admin August 24, 2011 at 11:28 am

Wow, sounds like our “training” experiences were pretty much the same! It’s so funny you mentioned having to ask someone every time a customer had a question. I had to do the exact same thing and hated it. Literally EVERY TIME someone had a question, I’d have to use the little headset to ask a manager. I could basically feel the managers wanting to slap me as they rolled their eyes, but I felt like I had just walked in off the street and started working there. What was I supposed to do!? I was even more confused because some of the other employees who had been there a while knew exactly what to do. How was I so lost all the time!? I agree, I am MUCH happier as a customer. I shop there all the time. For a while, I drove out of my way to avoid my old store so I didn’t have to see my old co-workers and managers. Now I just go to my old store. I did my best, no shame there! Thanks for reading and commenting!

Mandyy November 19, 2011 at 11:03 pm

haha, I work at VS now…. they did the same thing but worse! we’re being hired for the holidays so they smushed our training into one day so we watched a bunch of diff videos in like a 4 hour period and got a QUICK “tour” of the store and back room. I’m supposed to start on cashier tomorrow maybe… def this week. but haven’t been trained for that yet! yikes

Ashlee November 27, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I just startedworking at VS. My first day was Black Friday, it wasn’t too bad I just straightened things all day since I had no training. Tomorrow I start training. She told me I will get back room training and register so I hope this won’t be a bad experience for me.

Linda November 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Enslaved by Victoria Secret store in Monmouth Mall NJ
My granddaughter is trying to finish college and is employed by VS for over a year part time. They stopped giving her hours almost 6 months ago, she has no income and a 2 year old child. They will not fire her so that she can collect unemployment and will not write a letter saying that she has not worked for over 5 months so that she can get food stamps and health care for her or the child. She is in limbo and they won’t do a thing. Of course she has never had benefits because they keep everyone on part time hours. She is a college student with an infant and no income or health insurance thanks to Victoria Secret’s practice of keeping you on record as an employee, but not give you hours or so little (minimum wage) hours that you still cannot support yourself. I consider it a type of slavery. I am her grandmother and must support her and baby on my retirement pay.

Shiany March 20, 2012 at 3:52 pm

O..M…G..this was written a while ago but i LOVED this blog lol i am a slave at VS currently and i DREAD going to work every shift. My store manager has a nickname..”satan”, so you can imagine what a joy it is to work with her. First question that comes up is “whos csling?” OH and you cant forget those on-calls….those stupid stupid on-calls. you cant plan anything because you might work, or you might stay three hours later than you were scheduled to! working at VS is FAR from glamorous and what it seems like it would be. plus having to do those brand guides…man, i was NOT expecting to go in at 4 in the morning to do some ridiculous little color changes that NO ONE notices. bllaahh..anyways. i know what you went through. ive been there for two years now. *tears and sobs*

Kelowha April 18, 2012 at 12:58 am

This is so funny. I found this when I was looking up why the people at this store always measure my size wrong. It always happens the same way to. I say, ” Do you have this bra in a 34 D.” They say,”That is not your size you must be measuring yourself wrong.” I say, “This is the size I always get. In fact I am wearing it right now.” They reply,”It has to be wrong let me measure you. (measures me, and I don’t like being measured) you are a 34 B. Come on and try this on and you will see, it will fit you, and feel so nice.” And would you believe every time I play along and try on a 34B and it fits to tight and I am falling out of it. Every time they give this look like they can’t believe it, and say,”Wow you were right you are a 34D.” Happens almost every time I go, and they don’t have the bra out in the size I want.

Angelica June 25, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I currently work in VS and started for the Semi annual sale, yeah this job is horrible there’s a whole lot of difference from shopping there to working there. U r their slave and the managers ugh their horrible, plus the customers. OMG let me tell you about those customers gosh u cant even be nice, like all I get is greeting customers and what I usually say is “Any help finding anything?” the minute they walk in and all they say is “I just walked in”, like really??? Geez I’ve had to deal with these people for ever, they’re horrible. I’M quitting ASAP..

Kay August 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm

How much was the starting salary?

Private October 2, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Sorry for making myself anonymous, but it is simply because I currently work for Victoria’s Secret .

@ The blogger: Honestly, it sounds to me like you may have dyscalculia/mathematics disorder, which is a learning disability of arithmetic. Your struggles with simple math remind me of my own, so I can really empathize with you. If you haven’t done so already, I suggest meeting with a learning specialist through your college or a state agency for testing.

@ Kay: There isn’t a starting salary, but rather a starting wage. It is $9 here in New York, which sounds impressive but truly isn’t (the cost of living here is outrageous). I don’t know if it is $9 nationally.

Anyway, I can relate to your pain and that of the respondents. I’ve worked at VS only since the spring and I already dread every shift. Here’s why:

1) The on-calls. This is the only job I’ve had in which there are on-calls. I understand their purpose (so if a scheduled person cannot make it, there is still coverage), but it seems to me like the on-calls are deliberately planned to an extent. In addition to that, this I’ll never get: Why do the employees HAVE to wait EXACTLY two hours before finding out if they have to go in/stay? Does VS fail to realize how damn inconsiderate this is?!

Oh, and here’s the ultimate worst — when someone calls to find out if they have the on-call and they are told no… only to be called later and told to come in. Um… what the hell? What about if the person just made plans?

2) The customers. My god, these customers are so damn rude. And I’ve worked in customer service for years, so I know that the VS customers are worse than most. They always seem to get pissed if I ask them if they need assistance, many blow off wanting to get their Perfect Fit (okay, fine, continue to squeeze into a 34B bra when in reality you’re a 38DDD. I can see your breasts popping out of the sides and layers of back fat, but whatever), etc. And they are even more damn annoying when they come in with a free panty coupon and then get pissed if, god forbid, we have run out of the panty in a particular size and color/pattern (nevermind that they can get ANY OTHER color/pattern!).

3) Extremely slow days versus very fast-paced days. I dread – totally DREAD – the upcoming holiday season because I KNOW it is going to be crazy. Just dealing with the semi-annual sale was bad enough. But right now my store is pretty much dead… so dead that it is downright boring. And since it’s retail, it’s not like I can find something productive to do to pass the time. Instead I must just always look busy (pacing around, fixing up panties over and over, “striping” drawers, etc.). Very easy, but repetitive…

4) The dress code. I’m not saying that we should get to dress like Adriana and Candice. I understand and respect that we employees must look somewhat conservative. But this said, what about comfort? Considering we must be on our feet for HOURS, why can’t we wear comfortable shoes? This is the only job I’ve had in which style was prioritized over comfort, and like I’ve said, I’ve worked in other retail jobs!

5) The Angel card. I downright stopped asking customers if they have these stupid cards. I know I’m supposed to ask but I just don’t care anymore.

anon October 8, 2012 at 1:33 am

to private: by $9 hr you mean in nyc right? i just got a call for interview at victorias secret here in queens new york, my gosh im here thinking “oh please lord dont let my experience be bad!”

sidra October 18, 2012 at 1:01 am

You might suck at math, but you have a very easy going conversational way of writing. In fact, your blog is the first result when I search”Victoria secret employee discount” so congrats on that :-)

ljmlevine October 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

Haha! Well thank you, Sidra! I appreciate that=)

Nikki October 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm

i never worked in a public job before. Will they still hire me? i’ve been researching requirements to work at VS and still researching. I’m very friendly. I’m afraid that if i do get interviewed that they might ask a question that might been difficult to ask.

Can you give me some tips please :).

ljmlevine October 21, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Hi Nikki,
I had never had a job before I worked there either, so don’t worry. I think if you show that you’re responsible, willing to learn, and very friendly, then you have a good shot. Several other people were interviewing for a position when I was there, but I just focused on my willingness to learn and my ability to interact well with customers. Those things are important. Just be cheerful, dress professionally for the interview, and be outgoing. Good luck!

Taylor November 7, 2012 at 8:40 pm

This article is word for word what I went through at Victoria’s Secret. To learn everything I had to grab the employees in the surrounding rooms to train me. I would absolutely DREAD when they told me to work the fitting rooms because I hated running around finding bras, fitting people, and arguing about their REAL bra size (i.e. “NO I’VE BEEN A 34C MY WHOLE LIFE I”M NOT A ‘D’!!!”) real story.

They SEVERELY under pay and under train…especially for the work that those poor girls have to do. Oh and to only get 2 days off during Christmas break including Christmas day?? No thank you. I left that place in 3 months.

s November 17, 2012 at 11:13 pm

just leaving a comment as I know I’m late on the band wagon but this is funny! I currently work at VS and have been since May 2012. All of this for the most part is so true! I was hired for SAS as seasonal. ALL seasonal trainees have one day of on boarding and that’s it. If you are hired outside of the seasonal window, you get 5 days of training. Yeah, it was a little overwhelming at first, but my store manager was really nice and let all of us ask questions rather than letting us run around like chickens with their heads cut off. I’m now a bra specialist! I certainly don’t plan on staying there longer than a year and a half; just while I’m working on finding another, more permanent job.

Yeah, the customers in there are pretty bad. Do you know how many customers have made me run to the back and cry? Ugh. Also, people don’t understand that a majority of the panties on top of the panty bars are going to be a size medium, even if you tell them this, so they just HAVE to mess up the whole top looking for a small or a large. They also can’t read coupons to save their life. If it starts on day x, no I cannot give it to you on day s. If your coupon expired three months ago, NO I CANNOT HONOR IT.

For those who ask about the on calls: yeah they suck, but if you call and they say no, we don’t need you, you can totally make plans, even if they call you again. Just say “Actually since you said no, I already made plans” and your manager should understand. Sure people can be jerks, but if you made plans, you made plans. Be firm about it.

It’s definitely not as glamorous as one would think but you can say that about the whole world of retail.

Private December 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Contrary to this, I have had a great experience at Victoria’s Secret. I was hired as seasonal, but still got great training. The manager is positive and very supportive. Yes, customers can be hard to handle, but otherwise, I love the job.

bri January 19, 2013 at 1:45 am

@private & Where is this vs that you’re working at? Just curious because, you seem to be the only one who LOVES it.

Lindsey March 3, 2013 at 10:52 am

Honestly, reading your blog and all of the comments all I see is negativity and I still want to work there! Not sure why but I suppose if you don’t mind dealing with customers and like being hands on then why not ? I mean a job is a job and no matter what you should always bust your ass and try your best. I worked for a company and was on on call almost everyday and didn’t really mind it, even if I did make plans just because in my opinion money is the motivation and experiance is the key. All other things can wait unless it’s an emergency. I’m not lazy, I love to work. Maybe I’ll change my mind once I start working there but guess I won’t know until I really know .. Can’t be that bad lol

Private March 6, 2013 at 11:18 am

I just have to say that I am currently getting onboarding training for four days. Yesterday we watched the videos, Friday we learn all about bras. My starting salary is 7.45, but I’m just happy to have a job. I like it so far, and I’m surrounded by good people. Also, anyone can google how to measure your bra size. Also for the person who wrote that their daughter cannot get out of being a victorias secret employee, there is no work contract and if she wants to go they are obliged to let her go they cannot keep her. So far I like my store, and if you like making people happy and feel pretty then I think Victorias Secret is a good idea. And as I always say, if you hate doing whatever youre doing then stop because it doesnt help to stay in a position you hate. Be honest with yourself.

Private March 9, 2013 at 2:13 pm

The on calls SUCK. Even if you are scheduled, they can and WILL cut your hours that day if they are over hours and are not making plan, which btw is insanely high & unrealistic most days of the week when business is slow.
They play favorites. You must be liked or kiss butt to get a decent amount of hours. If they do not like you, they will not add you to the schedule or they will schedule you all on call shifts, which they will never activate. So it is true, you are better off looking for a better paying job that is more stable if you have bills to pay or children. They will not fire anyone. If you haven’t received your W2 or have any issues, they tell you to call HR Direct. They are very sneaky when it comes to payroll. They adjust your hours & now we can’t clock out for break, we have to clock out as “meal unpaid”. They do this, so you will never get overtime. The time you were clocked out for break appears as if you worked but you are not paid. Managers expect you to get things done in an unrealistic period of time. They ask you to work faster so they can send you home early. I have received a lot of raises but it really doesn’t help when your shifts are cut and calls ins or not used.

Trish March 21, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I love my job at Victoria’s Secret! I’ve been working in retail ever since I was eligible to work & Victoria’s Secret is probably the BEST retail store to work at. In EVERY retail store, you’re going to know how to do simple arithmetic & know how to count. It’s really not that hard when you’ve been learning your 1,2,3′s even before you started going to school. In every retail store, you’re going to need to have great people skills and deal with complicated customers. In addition, in EVERY PLACE YOU WORK, you’re going to HAVE to do whatever is in the job description. If you don’t like what is on there, don’t even try getting the job because you’ll hate it. I absolutely love & enjoy my job, and so does everyone I work with. It’s a really fun environment to be in, if you enjoy what you do. We are now looking for employees who are actually qualified & can take the workload. I understand that your training sucked because you got virtually none of it, but I am happy to say that it is no longer like that. We train all of our employees to be the best and we are more patient nowadays.

Libby April 8, 2013 at 4:40 am

I literally just lol’d so hard!!!
This is my life ahhaha. I work at VS now and I remember my first days…
I would cling to that panty bar like it was my life and I was good at folding, I didn’t have to up-sell folding. Then there’s always the annoying people who mess it up or just ignore me when I ask if I can help them…like they think I have a choice! I literally count down the seconds on my watch til I leave. I play games in my head cuz I get so damn bored and sometimes when there is no one and nothing to fold, I will mess the panty bar up and slowly fold it again because I don’t wanna just be standing when the manager is watching…
or I’ll do laps around the bar. Hey, it’s a good workout. Ahh the good ol’ days. I can’t wait to quit. hahaha :)

Sabrina May 2, 2013 at 1:58 am

Thanks for making me laugh out loud!! Very funny!

Private May 9, 2013 at 3:20 am

Honestly, I think it just depends where you’re at. I started working for VS 2 weeks before Black Friday in 2012, and I was trained by our bra specialist. I can honestly say, I love my job. But, some of my coworkers who were there years before me say it used to be bad, back then associates will argue with each other, managers were mean. Now, there’s a new store manager and my coworkers say it’s ALOT better now. Everyone honestly gets along with everyone. I’m not saying our store is perfect, because it isn’t. Of course there’s days when I don’t even want to go into work cause I know how hard it is to work there because of not only the customers, but also because there’s a lot you need to know, different kinds of bras (demi, Push-up, wireless, backless, multi-way. etc.) and the different panties, (cheeky, hiphugger, thong, v-string, cheekster, seamless, shortie(boy-shorts), bikini, etc.) and mainly because I know once I clock in I have pick up after stupid customers that don’t know how to clean up after themselves and deal with rude customers. And not only do we have to listen to the customer, but we also have to look out for shoplifting and maintain our room organized. Whoever said the customer is always right, obviously never worked with the public. Personally, my managers are awesome, and fun to work with; I can ask any one of them a question about an item and they will kindly answer and help me out. Bra measuring is hard to grasp, but with more experience you do pick up on it. When I started, I was scared of measuring customers cause I was afraid of getting their wrong size, now I’m a lot more confident about it. Like I said, I guess it depends which VS you work at.

HKK May 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Hello! I loved reading your blog. I just started working at Victoria’s Secret. Although the training has improved from what you had to do, I still do not feel like I know what to do. I was immediately thrown in Pink by myself to handle both sides and the manager was getting seriously irritated with my constant questions streaming thru the head set. Well if they let new hires shadow other workers for at LEAST a day and just assist them, everyone would learn quickly and be able to assist the customers better. I also hate the call ins. It’s not right to do that to everyone especially as often as they do. I would be more ok with a call in if they rotated them through people and maybe we all had one just once a month or every other month. Also my other problem is that they just hired me and a couple other girls., we have been there total about a month and now they’re bringing in more people- one just tranferred from another store, and then they are calling off me and the other new girls’ shifts all the time. Why hire new people and bring more in, then not use the ones you just hired? But other then scheduling issues and training issues I love the work and most everyone there. Also I have a question about the cash wrap. They are going to be putting me at it on my next shift and so far all I’ve done is watch someone use it on 2 different days for 10 min. That’s not right! So I’m reaching out to see if someone can respond to me with a basic step by step on using the register or even just some tips on working there that would help me get by. I feel like I’m the fresh meat around there and if I could get some knowledge to use when I return to work I will not have to be so scared! Thanks to everyone here and best of luck to you all! :)

Anon June 23, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I forgot to add! The store is always hiring new people. Why? Because the majority of the employees there are part-timers. Very few are full-timers. I remember my hours got cut when the new employees came in. Also, if you go over payroll, then your hours will get cut. Stingy I’ll say.

Marie June 1, 2013 at 10:24 pm

These were all hilarious to read! I start at VS tomorrow, now I’m kind of afraid about what I’ve gotten myself into haha. Thankfully I’m only a seasonal so if I hate it as much as most people here seemed to, I’ll be free in a couple of months!

Natalie Davis June 8, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I’m Soo Glad I Found This Website!! My First Day At VS Is Tomorrow. I’m Hoping The Training At My Store Is Thorough! I Will Be Seasonal As Well, So It Shouldn’t Be Too Difficult. I’m Ready For The Challenge Because I Have Never Had To Sell Anything Or Meet A Quota. Fingers Crossed That Everything Goes Smoothly :)

Anon June 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Funny, I’m about to quit my job at VS.

Yes, I understand what you’re talking about. The hours are crappy. You get cut or sent home early. Your on-calls are typically not activated unless it’s busy. The managers constantly pressured you to get Angels cards. Someone brought up “playing favorites.” Yes, that is true. If you’re not a part of “the group,” then good luck. Your hours will get cut.

The perks might be tempting at first, but after a while, I just can’t do it anymore. I’ve learned that it’s a sign to let go. I’m quitting because of the unfair treatment. Why put yourself in that position?

lynn June 25, 2013 at 4:02 pm

This made me laugh so hard. I’ve worked at VS (the panty dungeon, as I called it) for 5 years and I had to wonder if you were one of my coworkers; you perfectly described my store. (Except my boss’s nickname was something worse than Satan!)

The good news is, after that miserable job,any job is spectacular in comparison.

Fatana June 30, 2013 at 6:35 am

I read some of that and it was as if u were in my head hahhaha

1. I applied in dec got interviewed in jan didnt get to start until April… :-(

2. I started in 4/17/12 omfg I had to watch all four videos right away then was put on cash wrap, I received little training but didn’t mind it at first until I saw new employees get better training. I knew everything myself and taught myself all the time on the job.. I’m a fast learner.

3. I worked at the highest shrink store in USA brass mill center in Waterbury ct

4. My store manager for one month was a bipolar bitch from hell

5. My good managers all quit at once in the fall of 2012

6. My bday was Black Friday 11/23/12 we all worked 9 hours none of us got an hour break even though we all were eligible for one.

7. I submitted time off over a month in advance and got all of it approved come back and they tell me I thought u stopped showing up to work. That still makes me angry till this day like what the f u weren’t giving me any hours since ur nasty fat ass started working here!!!

8. I loved working in bras I’m a sales associate not a cash wrapper or ur cleaning lady

9. A dog shit in the fitting room and then my manger was like ok clean when she was the one managing the fitting room at the time and she should’ve told her to get rid of her dog!!! Then my other manager was like omg Fatana it’s just dog shit it’s not human shit! And she’s get on her hands and feet and is like ill clean it and in my head im like ok clean it then. As if I’m a cleaning lady

10. I worked there because I loved vs I don’t shop there anymore and don’t really want to I returned about 400 worth of shit they made me feel like I had to buy

I could keep going but it makes me sad I took all that crap for nothing!!!!

Rachel July 8, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I just started working at Victoria’s Secret a few days ago! Your post makes me feel SO much better about it now. I absolutely dread working at the cash wrap, I press the wrong buttons by mistake all the time and need my manager to come over and do a “void” on the product I screwed up on. Talk about embarrassing.. As far as math goes, I suck at it too. Good thing we kept calculators behind the desk. Also, you could not be more correct about the training. How do they expect you to memorize every single promotion, style of bra and panty, where they are, how to fold them…the list goes on and on. It’s nice to hear I’m not the only one going through the same horrible experience.

Leslie July 24, 2013 at 3:42 am

Ok I have a job interview tomorrow and now I’m scared to even work at VS ! Well it’s for PINK but still affiliated with VS. This reminds me of my job at Forever 21, which no one lasts at for more than 1 day or a couple months. Is the management really this bad? I don’t want bad management again.

anonymous August 10, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Retail, in general, is a difficult industry. A lot of people that don’t have previous experience are very shocked when they get their first job. I’m sorry that your experience wasn’t awesome but like what some people said, it depends where you work. I am also sorry to hear that you took nothing but negativity from the job. Did you ever take your complaints to HR? Good companies are always trying to improve their techniques. I just started training with VS and I am excited. I admit that bra fitting makes me uncomfortable but stepping out of your comfort zone is a part of retail, including math. As for spending your paycheck where you work… that’s a personal problem. You knew going in that the product appeals to you. Second, I am sure they did not force you to buy anything. You shoukd have self-control… not the company over you. And you said it yourself, that you were not a great employee. If you don’t try to be the best, why should your employer be the best for you? In a nutshell, I thought your article was really negative and full of complaints. I was looking for good, positive tips to be a good employee and I did not find that here. Instead of complaining, why not offer alternatives? How could things be better? What is good about what they do? Obviously something since they’ve become the top selling brand of intimate wear. You should think about what you should change as an employee because you didn’t contribute any positive changes.

Former mgmt August 12, 2013 at 1:49 am

I find this to all be sad but true of good old VS. I am proud to say that I am also a fallen angel. I was a manager for the company and went through nothing but hell. I am 23 and have held a management job since I was 16. While i was there I ended up being responsible for 1/3 of the stores total sales. Which is a lot considering there was more then 1 managers. a boss transferred in temporarily who was my age but was a male and a total pig to boot. I remember once he couldn’t rehire a girl because she had no rehire and he wanted to ask her it she was single instead. (Real great way to represent the company asshole). Anyway. He began forging my signature. I obviously was not ok with it so I told the store manager above us. And she tried to hide it because she along with a couple others were friendly with him. He kept forging so I got pissed and told the district manager.. He was let go for the incident and shortly after I found out I was going to be let go since “I got their friend fired”. Low and behold I am currently jobless. And what do I have to show for it? A few free bras that are falling apart. They cost so much they could at least use better material then nylon.

Anonymous August 13, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I agree the hours do suck. I am having 50/50 feelings about working there. One week I enjoy it and the next I am dreading it. I really want to get promoted or get into the AIM program and I have asked managers about it but none of them really explained it or told me what I needed to do to qualify. What is the AIM program and has anyone gone through it yet? I think I want to become a Sales Support Lead or Onboarding manager but I am unsure of how to do that.

Nikole August 21, 2013 at 2:05 pm

OMG your story reminded me of me! I work at Victorias secret as a seasonal!
Like literally they gave me an hour or two of register training (ringing clothes and charging it on a fake card) but they didnt make an effort to really really train us, LIke the online purchases or doing returns =/. Like your first day, They popped me on that register too and the first customer had a return, I was never trained and the manager yelled at me saying “OMG you ask way to many questions, Just go to PINK I”ll handle it” ummmmm Well how about you show me how to do it instead of kick me off? OMG OMG OMG and she like “coached me” which is kind of lecturing me not to be so slow, then I had an online purchase, Pssshhhh!well again i was never taught that, sooooo again she kicked me off and told me to go to pink. Then I wanted to talk to her, So we went to the office and she said, “If I have to coach you one more time, We are not keeping you permanent” I to her I wasn’t really trained and Ever since then all they give me is call ins and never use me. Ive not been working there for a month. So I know exactly the stress you had at that Cash wrap girl! Were you seasonal too? do you know when they end seasnals? :( I dont want to work there any more. Lol

ArielR December 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm

OMGGGGGG I just got an interview here at the store for today after school. Ahhhh your story makes super nervous now!!!!!! well its my first time ever job also so idk am excited but deff. not an expert on cashier and math….