Ode to Jim Halpert/Why Pam and Jim Are Annoying Together

by ljmlevine on July 27, 2011

Lately I’ve developed a moderate to serious obsession with The Office. If you’ve read my earlier post on me not being a bandwagoner, you will not be shocked to learn that I didn’t watch The Office when it first debuted/became popular, which explains why I am just developing my obsession now. I think the show is so well-written, and extremely relatable (especially if you work in an office). I also have a serious crush on Jim Halpert.

Jim Halpert is good-looking, witty and seems like the nicest guy on the planet. He also seems like a real romantic. Yes, I know he’s not a real person. It’s fine. I love Jim’s quirky facial expressions, his cunning responses to Michael’s antics and his “aw, shucks” attitude. He is not cocky (even though he’s handsome and funny), and he’s seemingly unaware of his charm. He is just the boy next door who every girl wants to date. Love him.

Once you know about my extreme crush on Jim, you’d assume that I LOVE him and Pam together, right? Wrong. Maybe there’s something wrong with me, but I enjoyed Jim pursuing Pam MUCH more than I enjoy Jim WITH Pam. Do other people feel this way? In fact, I’d even go so far as to say that I think Jim and Pam are unhealthy in their relationship at times. I know I’m not completely finished with the series, but I’ve seen enough to stand by my position.

For example:

1.) Jim and Pam spend most of their day flirting and playing practical jokes: My boyfriend and I work in the same office. Yes, there are times when we pop in to the other person’s area to see each other. But we most certainly do not spend the majority of the day flirting, giggling, and playing jokes on our bizarre co-worker. We spend most of the day….doing our jobs. The fact that Jim and Pam screw around all the time makes me think that they don’t care about their jobs or career advancement. I know that Jim ends up advancing eventually, but if he spent half as much time making sales and learning new techniques as he does with Pam, he would probably advance a lot faster.

2.) They don’t care about workplace ethics: When you work in the same office as your significant other, it is not really appropriate to remind everyone that you’re dating. My boyfriend and I go to lunch together, but we are very careful about constantly sending the ” HEY, WE GO OUT!” signals. It makes people uncomfortable, and it’s not very professional or appropriate for the workplace. I think Jim and Pam’s relationship is often a distraction, and comes up in conversation quite frequently among the other co-workers. It would be much more professional if they were more low-key. The other co-workers should almost be able to forget that they are dating.

3.) Pam gave up her art dreams for Jim: I understand how hard long distance relationships are. I write about them for The College Crush. I understand that sacrifices need to be made for relationships. But I lost respect for Pam (yes, a fictional character) when she couldn’t finish one more semester of art school because she missed Jim and wanted to return to Scranton. Yeah, she claimed it was because she didn’t end up liking it that much. I didn’t believe it. You KNOW she didn’t long to return to Dunder Mifflin and make copies for Dwight. I think that Pam based most of her decision on Jim. And I don’t like that. Jim encouraged Pam to stay, which was good on his part. But she still returned to her boring desk job. I think the healthiest of relationships are ones in which you can grow and better yourself as an individual. I know it’s easier said than done, but I think it’s true. I give Jim props for encouraging Pam to finish, even if it meant he’d have to spend more time away from her. I think Pam should have stayed true to herself and her dreams and finished up the semester, even if it meant doing long distance for a few more months. If she truly didn’t like it, then she should have come home. I think that was just an excuse.

4.) Pam and Jim started while Pam was taken/rebounding: I realize that Roy was a jerk and a loser and Pam should not have been with him. But I don’t think it’s good to start a relationship when one person is in the process of ending another one, or is still getting over another one. Especially when that relationship was about to lead to a wedding. It would be one thing if Roy and Pam were just casually dating, but they were about to get married! It was serious! I know Jim had undying love for Pam, and it was pretty clear that feeling was mutual. Despite all that, I still think Jim should have backed off, given Pam space and time to get over Roy, and then when she was done with that they could have gotten together. No relationship should start when another is ending. No relationship should start as a rebound, even if there is true love involved.

I know that these two are not real people, and their relationship is part of a television script. However, I think my complaints about their relationship are  legitimate. What do you guys think? How do you feel about this famous TV couple?

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Dee August 8, 2011 at 4:17 am

I’m just getting into the office as well, and I agree with everything you say here. I don’t like them as a couple, I prefer them as flirty friends.

Cherie August 12, 2011 at 3:03 am

I agree. i think they were much more fun to watch when they were trying to pursue eachother. I also dont like Pam’s personality in the later seasons. I know she’s more confident and its part of her character development, but she just seems annoying to me now lol i liked when she was quiet and sweet.

Marco July 23, 2012 at 4:22 pm

120% totally agree with you on that. Couldn’t of put it better myself.

Casey August 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I really do not agree with anything you say here. I think they are a great couple and deserve to fictionally be together..

admin August 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Hi Casey,
Thanks for reading and commenting even if you don’t agree. I like how you said, “fictionally be together”. Too funny. Sometimes I feel like they’re real people. I see Emily Blunt and I’m like, “Why is she with Jim Halpert? Pam must be pissed!” Thanks for reading!

Lonna September 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I agree with Casey. It was about time that there characters finally developed into something more than a chase. I don’t agree with your list of reasons.

1. They’ve always played practical jokes even before dating & marriage.
2. How about the fact Dwight & Angela use to go off and have sex during work. Kelly & Ryan making out on desks, rolling around on the floor & arguing loudly infront of anyone. All of dwight’s weapons. All of Michael’s offensive comments & behavior. Michael & Holly’s PDA. How about Dwight shooting a gun in the office? Or Meredith dressing like a night walker during casual Friday. And how Meredith got wasted and caught her hair on fire? Creed doesn’t even do anything at all, he has a made up job like Pam does now.

That’s all I’m really going to write even though I could go on. You can’t really compare your morals/life/workplace ethnics to a mockumentary comedy television show, let alone any television show. So that’s why I dont find your list of reasons valid. I’m not trying to be rude, just giving my opinion.

One last thing the writers could of done a lot better with season 7 & Michael’s leaving.

Adam September 16, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I think this is being read into too much. I mean their characters are fictional, and the story of their relationship is something of a fairy tale. I think it’s okay for them to step out of reality and jump head first into things. And I think after seasons and seasons of them joking around, the world was ready for Jim and Pam right then and there.

Cal October 11, 2011 at 3:43 am

Being a HUGE office fan I have to correct something you said. Jim and Pam yes, did have that kiss while she was engaged to Roy, but nothing started with Jim and Pam for a while. After that kiss Jim transferred to another branch where he met Karen…they flirted, then dated, and came back to D.M. together as a couple. Pam also got back with Roy. Pam was honest with Roy about their kiss which lead to a violent outburst from Roy and him later on trying to attack Jim. Anyway, I will stop there, lol.

Next, I agree about not liking them as a couple (or at least a married couple). When they weren’t an item there chemistry was on fire and fun to watch! You wanted Jim with Pam just as bad he wanted to be with her.

Then they start dating…to me they were still fun, but then they get engaged and Pam pregnant and it all starts going down hill.

Now that they are married Pam is this boring character with no personality and she seems real corny. Jim to me gets on my nerves as a husband. He treats Pam like she is some silly little housewife that is not to be taken seriously. He doesn’t take her seriously anymore or back her up. He just acts like she is crazy.

Plus since they haven’t gotten married they have zero chemistry at all. They’re not likable together anymore. I miss them playing pranks together and joking or actually seeming like they like each other. They don’t even seem like friends anymore. They are literally the ball and chain!!

Oh, and I think with a boss like Michael Scott setting the example to slack off and dink off you can’t think much of them joking/pranking/flirting all day. What does Michael Scott do all day really? Does the boss actually work or care if anyone else does?

Cassie October 24, 2011 at 1:03 am

I haven’t really watched the past couple of seasons of The Office, but just re-watched the pilot. Oh how I miss Pam the receptionist! I know – characters are supposed to grow and develop, but she and Jim were hilarious as the “straight men” in the comedy.

Also, I liked the friendship between Jim and Pam back in the beginning. Now that they are together, they’ve become a bore.

ljmlevine November 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I agree completely! Pam was so much better as the cute, somewhat nerdy receptionist. They are a snoozefest now.

kelly October 26, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Like you, I just discovered The Office. I’ve worked my way through the first 2 seasons and I’ve peeked ahead a little. I have a serious Jim crush too!

I have a couple of theories on their work behavior. (1) How could a boss like Michael Scott lead anything but a group of slackers? The Scranton office scrapes by so that we can marvel at their incompetence. I’m not watching to see a realistic office; I’m watching to see an entertaining and amusing office so that probably includes people who act inappropriately.

Or (2) the characters do regular work but that part doesn’t make it into the show. I don’t want to watch a show about people sitting at keyboards or having work-related conversations about real subjects. Again, I’m watching for entertainment. Dwight got a regional sales award so they must be accomplishing something during the day but it’s not all on camera.

I met my husband at work so perhaps that’s something that attracts me to this show. Like you, we kept it professional, but of course I was always debating whether I could professionally afford “just one more stop” by his desk. Jim and Pam carry it out because it’s fiction and it leads to more entertaining stories. The office gossip makes a better TV show too. Of course we don’t want that for ourselves in real life… but it’s fun to watch.

kelly October 26, 2011 at 9:54 pm

P.S. Don’t you love it when he wipes a tear from his eye? Incredibly adorable.

ljmlevine November 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Yes! He is very adorable. His facial expressions are so good. I have a hard time separating Jim from real life John K. They’re one in the same to me.

John February 23, 2012 at 2:51 pm

We have an office relationship that started a few months ago and has made everyone SO UNCOMFORTABLE and this article just perfectly puts into words what we’re all feeling. THANK. YOU.

sayari April 2, 2012 at 1:22 am

totally agree with you on points 1 & 3..whats up with giving up your dreams and returning back to your dead-end job, just to be with your man 24X7? Not the signs of a healthy relationship..who knows she might later go on resenting him at some level to have given up her dreams for him, though jim insisted otherwise. And an office doesn’t work that way, playing pranks & chatting all the time, you gotta do your job! partly agreeing on reason no. 4…they should have taken some time together NOT DATING as well as SINGLE, to see where they stand. jim kissed pam when she was engaged and then just took off. Also, they got together moments after jim dumped karen. What’s the hurry?!

sayari April 2, 2012 at 1:25 am

and by the way….I am so IN LOVE with jim halpert, I love him, I love him, I love him….!

Jenna F. September 6, 2012 at 6:56 am

I think you just wish you could have Jim for yourself.

These two are soulmates and I love, love, LOVE them together.

That is all. ;-)

Crystal Marie October 25, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I don’t like them together because… I think he deserves better. As in… me.

Jim Howe November 21, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I don’t like Jim, and I feel that more than Pam he’s responsible for the couple’s annoying vibe. He’s actually quite patronising towards the other characters – a few of his more irritating habits include: continually rolling eyes at camera to demonstrate how astute he is at spotting quirky behaviour; never joining in on a joke unless he instigates it himself; SMILING when he orders subordinates to do things (I would feel like clipping him over the ear if he tried to do that to me); playing practial jokes (which was one of the best things about the show when he was level with everyone else, but now he does them in a way that reinforces his power (which is repulsive)). Yes, I loved Jim at the start – but dang, he’s one annoying dude now.

Anne January 29, 2013 at 11:35 am

I agree with you on everything! I just became hooked on the office this past fall, and fell madly in television character love with Jim. Jim’s whole unrequited love for Pam was what made me Netflix the show, however I am now watching season 5, and my respect and interest in this possible coupling has gotten lower with every episode. Jim and Pam’s flirting and will they/won’t they of Season 1-2 has been replaced with boring, annoying “look at us! we are in love and perfect together!” ness and it makes me throw up a bit in my mouth. The fact that Pam gave up her art career in NY for Jim (at least, that is how I read those episodes), was so unrealistic and made her lose any and all likeability with me. Season 2 was my absolute favorite, and nothing will top it, I have sadly come to realize. Ugh.

Max February 9, 2013 at 5:08 am

You are just jealous … :P My dear, you should get help!